In the West Midlands, the Birmingham Food Group imagined what 2025 may look like and all the people are well fed.
What would that look like?
A mix of a green ‘Back to the Future’ and the fairer elements of 2015 society flourishing.
- A good minimum wage.
- Free Primary school meals.
- Vertical allotments to make use of space.
- New houses would have dining rooms.
- Cookery would be a social pursuit that groups of people would enjoy – families even.
- There would be more energy and investment in the arts and family life and more creativity.
- There would be global production but hydroponic production in disused car parks.
- There would be roof gardens so people could produce their own.
- New houses, instead of having cramped kitchens with barely enough room for a cooker, mean that people can cook for pleasure not for function.
- Better mental health would follow.
- The argument for a well-fed society is a healthier society.
- Our schools would prosper and our children would achieve better.
- Healthier people would mean the NHS would be under less strain.
- Farmers would be better paid.
- Home cooking would be revered and celebrated.